Stolen Kiss
In October of 2010, Aaron and I reconnected through Facebook. We became "friends" and he told me he had just gotten broken up with by his girlfriend of four years. I empathized and said we should hang out, though we never did. Over the next few months, I Facebook-stalked him and looked at every one of his pictures (numerous times), drooled over the obvious man he had become, read every one of his posts on his page and wondered what would have happened between us if I had just confessed my crush to him in high school.
Three months later, in January of 2011, I went through my own breakup with my boyfriend of four years. Remembering Aaron's identical situation, I called on him for help and advice, which he readily supplied. Our first Facebook conversation lasted about three minutes, ending when he insisted I call him so we could talk properly. We talked on the phone for hours about both our "formers" and the breakups that followed. He talked about how he wanted to take care of a woman: financially, physically and emotionally. He talked about how he loved to make home-videos and edit them himself, setting them to music and words--that way they'd have a great way to remember the past. He talked about all his artistic projects he's done, from a wire-based earring holder, to a declaration of love written on a piece of metal (so it could never fade). After three hours on the phone, I realized that my former was not the best person in the world like I had always thought he was. I knew then that there was someone better--Aaron. And even if I couldn't have Aaron, I could undoubtedly find someone like him.
Months later, on March 31, 2011, Aaron had just gotten back from a ski trip with his father and had planned to run the Carquinez Bridge that night, but had worn his legs out so much he wanted to walk it instead. Thinking of me, Aaron texted me:
Ashley!!! I just got back from tahoe a few hours ago and im just bubbling with energy, but because my legs are shot, so i was gonna walk the bridge tonight. I have the rest of my spring break nights all filled with friends and fun...but nuthin tonight. Anyhow, last minute, i know, but at anytime in the next few hours (could be as late as 10!!) would you like to take a strole across a beautiful bridge on a beautiful night with me :) olde friend. You should take me up on it. It is frankly a brillent idea :)
After hundreds of highly flirtatious texts messages the next day about everything from guys who prefer breasts over butts are better to the sketch book I bought him back in ninth grade, he invited me to hang out again Saturday night (the following night--April 2, 2011).
The next night, Aaron came to pick me up and then, unknowingly to me, drove me back to his house in Pinole. After re-meeting his parents and catching up with his sister Marissa (who was in my horn section in high school, so we knew each other well), we spent the majority of the night talking on his bedroom floor or playing pool in his garage.
At around 3:00 AM, we were on his bedroom floor talking about something unimportant while constantly flirting, when he suddenly sat up and stole a kiss. It took him eleven years to kiss me, and eleven years for me to finally know what it would be like to kiss him, but it was worth the wait. When we broke apart, he immediately did the thing all nice guys think they have to, and the thing all girls hope they don't: he apologized. I admitted that I had wanted him to kiss me all night and not to be sorry, so he kissed me again.
That night, while the sun rose through his bedroom window, we kissed like we had been waiting to kiss each other for a decade. It was the most romantic night of my life.
Monday, August 22, 2011
|
Labels:
Ashley
|
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment